A Soldier's Prayer

This is a poem written by my daughter Amy on her first tour of duty in Iraq. She still serves today as a Master Sergeant, and I am very proud of her.


A Soldier’s Prayer

by: Master Sergeant Amelia Vowell

(She wrote this while serving in the Chaplain’s Corp,
US Army, in Baghdad, Iraq, October 2003)


I’m fighting in a war for my country,

But there’s a bigger war inside of me.

Angry, scared and lonely,

I’ve almost forgotten who I used to be.

We’re supposed to love one another,

But should I love the ones I’m supposed to kill?

Fighting is my duty, longing for revenge,

The enemy hides his face while he kills my friends.

This enemy I can handle and plan to bring down.

There’s a bigger enemy - a thief and a liar,

Tries to tell me that I’m alone, tries to steal my faith

He tries to no avail because my Father

Wears the bigger crown.

He wraps me in His loving grace.

He gives me the strength to continue each day.

He heals my pains and softens my heart.

He reminds me that He did not send His Son

To die just for me.

Christ died for us all, even our enemies.

I will show them His love,

Let His light shine through me.

Lord, give me the strength to help rebuild this city.

Please comfort the families of the fallen soldiers and the Iraqis.

Teach us forgiveness and peace, make the attacks come to an end.

This is my prayer, that we will one day

Come together, different governments,

Different cultures,

Same desire for peace.

Comments

Popular Posts